Ask any HVAC professional, “How often should I service my HVAC?” and you’ll probably get the same answer—at least once a year. Most will say to service your air conditioner in the spring and furnace/heating system in the fall. Two maintenance service calls per year is the best way to go.
What can happen if I fail to service my HVAC system?
Failing to conduct regular maintenance can result in more serious repair issues, not to mention breakdowns at the most inconvenient times. It’s therefore important to follow the manufacturer’s or installation contractor’s recommendations. Maintenance is often part of an HVAC company’s overall service plan, which may also include discounts on repairs and future replacements, so long as you stick to the service guidelines. You might even get a longer warranty plus priority status when service must be scheduled.
When Should I Schedule My HVAC Service?
The best time to schedule maintenance is before the system is most needed. That way, you are assured it will work throughout the heating or cooling season with no trouble. Emergency calls occur most frequently during the winter or summer. Setting up an appointment sooner means HVAC professionals are more likely to be available at a convenient time. These are the times during which they are most flexible.
Most standard HVAC equipment should be checked once a year. For heat pumps used year-round, maintenance should be scheduled in 6-month intervals. The same goes for equipment that is used more frequently than expected, or if it’s older and more prone to developing problems.
Why Is Routine Service So Important?
There are many benefits to having your HVAC system serviced on a routine basis. If you keep up with maintenance appointments, you’ll likely see:
- Improved comfort, including more stable temperatures, even heating and cooling from room to room, and better airflow and indoor air quality.
- Fewer safety concerns, such as carbon monoxide exposure due to heat exchanger damage and wear, and other issues that can increase the risk of fire.
- More reliability so that you can have peace of mind knowing your HVAC won’t break down during a winter storm or summer heat wave.
- A lower occurrence of serious problems; when a technician inspects the system, it gives them the opportunity to find and fix issues when they’re small; not on nights, weekends, or holidays when repair rates go up.
- Improved efficiency; any issues can be quickly resolved so the system operates at peak efficiency, which can lower the cost of monthly utility bills.
- Longer lasting equipment, which means you can delay the need to invest in replacement heating and cooling systems, potentially for years.
Why Should I Track Yearly Service?
Most HVAC systems can run fine for years without being checked regularly. But the long-term ramifications of neglecting maintenance can be very expensive. That’s why maintenance should be put on your calendar. After a few months, it can be hard to remember when you last had your AC checked. It helps whether you use your smartphone calendar, or your HVAC service company schedules an appointment during their last visit. You might even get a call from the contractor as your yearly appointment approaches.
If you want, keeping a log, such as a clipboard with upcoming service dates, near your unit can be a good idea. And don’t forget about your own maintenance tasks. These include changing filters regularly, checking the unit for debris, cleaning return vents, and checking thermostat batteries.
Contact The AC Hero
We offer a full set of HVAC services in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Licensed, bonded, and insured, The AC Hero specializes in all major brands of equipment and offers 24/7 emergency services. Our Maintenance Plan covers all major service points plus tune ups. We are prompt and committed to ensuring your AC/heater is reliable, efficient, and safe. To learn more or schedule professional HVAC service, call us today at 817-587-0401.